Common Black Mold Symptoms Exposure

The fungus, belonging to Stachybotrys genus, is often referred to as Stachybotrys atra (or Stachybotrys chartarum). This fungus exists in various types which are all harmful. A hazardous mold is known as black mold or toxic mold. Regeneration of mold occurs through spores.

These lightweight spores become airborne much easily and then gain entry into the body through ingestion of contaminated food or inhalation of polluted air and play a leading role in inducing mold symptoms.

Common Mold Poisoning Symptoms

Hidden moldExperiencing any of the symptoms below doesn’t necessarily mean you have been exposed to some mold. The list present known conditions experienced by some people exposed to mold. You should always consult a health professional for any persistent symptom.

The most common symptoms which are triggered by exposure to toxic mold in humans include:

  • abdominal pain,
  • acne,
  • allergy symptom,
  • altered immunity,
  • anaphylaxis,
  • appetite loss,
  • asthma,
  • balance problems,
  • body aches,
  • burning mouth,
  • easy bruising,
  • cancer,
  • chills,
  • central nervous system disorders,
  • choking and triglycerides
  • cholesterol irregularities,
  • chronic fatigue,
  • cough,
  • coated tongue,
  • depression,
  • dandruff problems,
  • dementia,
  • difficulty in swallowing,
  • diarrhea,
  • digestion problems,
  • dizziness,
  • dirt-like taste in the mouth,
  • early menopause,
  • face flushing,
  • eye irritation (watery, reddened or burning eyes),
  • fevers,
  • frequent bloody nose
  • food allergies
  • hair loss,
  • frequent infections,
  • headaches,
  • hypersensitivity to mold,
  • blood pressure irregularities and hives
  • irritability,
  • itchy nose,
  • throat,

Mold on Ceiling




  • mouth eyes,
  • lethargy,
  • miscarriage,
  • metallic taste in the mouth,
  • multiple sclerosis,
  • mood swings,
  • nausea,
  • hot flashes and night sweats,
  • nose bleeding,
  • throat or nose irritation,
  • numbness in the limbs and face,
  • open lacerations and skin sores,
  • physical weakness
  • open sores on the head.
  • Pitting up mucous,
  • Droopy or puffy eyes,
  • Pulmonary hemorrhage,
  • Runny nose,
  • Respiratory disorders,
  • Itchy mucous membranes,
  • Sinus cough,
  • Sensitivity to odors/ smells,
  • Sinus headache,
  • Skin rashes or skin flushing,
  • Sneezing fits, swollen lymph nodes,
  • Spleen pain,
  • Systemic Candida infection,
  • Swallowing trouble,
  • tremors,
  • Vision problems,
  • Abnormal fevers,
  • Weakness and vomiting.

What to do if you think/know that you have been exposed?

While the list seems pretty long, it may be wise to visit a doctor for a consultation when experiencing recurring symptom. When the symptoms are at the early stage, sinusitis and cold medications are often prescribed to cure the condition. On the other hand, nasal sprays have been proven quite effective in minimizing some poisoning symptoms such as nasal congestion and runny nose.

Potassium and calcium supplements are also used as they are effective for fighting mold exposure symptoms. Severe symptoms can be reduced with the help of body detoxification carried out by a detoxification specialist. With this treatment, the harmful mold spores are eliminated from the body to prevent the damage to healthy cells.

How to remove mold and preventing it from coming back?

Removing and preventing mold can be accomplished in different ways but first, you need to confirm that you do have mold in your house. There are many DYI Mold Test kits in the market. We recommend the following product:

We like the DIY Mold Test, Mold Testing Kit because it test for many types of mold compare to other kits that only test for 2 or 3 of them. With the quick start guide included, you will collect 3 samples and send them to their lab. While the lab fees are included in the price (except for Texas residents), you will have to pay for the shipping. You also get a mold inspection booklet. After their analysis, the lab will send you an email with a data report and based on the results, you will take the appropriate action. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

However sometimes, you may not want to wait for a the lab results. Some of you may which to have an immediate response. We do have a product to recommend in this case and it’s nicely priced:

The Healthful Home 5-Minute Mold Test does test for the most dangerous molds, such as the toxic black mold, 32 mold types responsible for illness, including mold allergens (they claim to be the only test to detect mold particulates that causes allergies). This is a great product. It exactly like one of those home pregnancy test kit where you get the results instantly. The technology behind it is quite simple, they look for mold spores/particulates in your house dust using methods recommended by the US Environmental Protection Agency. This product actually brings the lab to your home. You also get a free consultation and you still have the possibility to send a sample to their lab for a second opinion should you want to confirm your results. So you get 2 tests (one for black mold, one for other type of molds), an all-in-one collection swab and the pre-stamped mail lab confirmation kit (request card and sterile swabs). Obviously you also get the instructions on how to complete the test in 3 easy steps.

The decision is yours on which one to choose between these two mold test kits. It really come down to are you willing to wait for your lab results or do you want to have an idea of your results immediately…

Make sure to read our detailed article on how to remove it from your house and visit our store to find other great products that we recommend for the cleaning phase.

And if you feel uneasy about DYI jobs then hire a local professional.

Getting rid of mold is only half the battle because you must know make sure that they won’t come back. There are 2 phases:

  1. Keeping the air in your house purified
  2. Keeping humidity out of your house

Depending on your budget, you can find different solutions. Our recommendations are the following:

The air cleaning system is really important in keeping good air quality in your home. It will also protect your family health by eliminating mold spores but also airborne bacteria, germs and viruses. If you experience recurring symptoms listed above, you should definitely invest in an air cleaning system. If this is a bit too expensive for your budget, consider visiting our store air purifiers category for other great options.

The dehumidifier is critical in places where humidity is a recurring problem. Depending on the size of the room, you may need a bigger or smaller one but all that it does is remove the water in the air which allow mold to grow. There are many great models (see listing in our store dehumidifier category). We selected the best products with high client satisfaction.

It is advisable for people to get well acquainted with common black mold exposure symptoms so that they can seek treatment without delay. The longer one allows mold to thrive in the body, the more destructive it gets.